Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Memory lane

"Sometimes you simply have to walk through a door in your mind and lose 30 or 40 years in order to remember who you are.
"Maybe it's a self-deception...
"We are the sum total of what we have done and where we have been, and I sincerely believe that in many ways the world in which I grew up in was better than the one we live in today." -- "Black Cherry Blues" -- James Lee Burke

"Was I better off when I worked for the Wal-Mart Shoe Department from 1969-75, when Sam Walton's philosophy of 'Buy USA' included purchasing televisions from an Arkansas factory?
"Or are we better off purchasing Christmas paraphernalia made in China?
"Was I better off when the first television our family ever owned was a 20-inch black-and-white with an antenna on top of the roof which only received three channels from Little Rock, NBC, CBS and ABC?
"Or was I better off when I owned a 35-inch Mitsubishi and had Dish satellite network with 400 channels, of which I only watched maybe 25-30?
"Was I better off when I used to watch MTV videos like "Thriller"?
"Or are we better off watching reality shows on MTV, which are inane and filled with false impressions of how great our soap operish lives become once we are addicted to the idiot box and all its panache of pop garbage?
"Was Elvis Presley better off when he crooned "Jailhouse Rock" and before Col. Tom Parker entered with his grubby charlatan money-grabbing shenanigans?
"Or when Elvis finally collapsed on a toilet seat with his body and mind polluted by prescription drugs?"
So, take a trip down memory lane and prioritize what's really important.
Don't get sidetracked by all the neat stuff you own.
Look for some intrinsic valuables like peace, love and rock-'n-roll.

"Jesus pointed his finger at the people he wanted. I ain't seen noboby point at me." -- James Lee Burke, ibid.
God calls us on missions and gives us meaningful purpose in life.
Are you ready to fulfill his goals for you? Are you ready to live a purposeful life?
Just pray for guidance and he will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment