Friday, October 28, 2011

Radio Daze

My love affair fondly began in 1964.
The dream-like fantasies flowed through my brain waves vis a vis the airwaves from KMOX, the flagship station of the St. Louis Cardinals.
Hearken I can hear it now:
"The Cardinals win the pennant! The Cardinals win the pennant!"
I was secretively listening to the final game of the 1964 baseball season while ostensibly watching a movie in the Mountain Home theater.
I sneaked my transistor radio in with my ear plugs intently transfixed on the Cardinals-Mets game.
The Cardinals overcame an 8 1/2 game deficit to the Philadelphia Phillies and stormed into the World Series where they dispatched the vaunted New York Yankees, 4-3.
My hero "Bullet" Bob Gibson spun three victories and the Cardinals were the World Champions.
Thanks to the word pictures painted by Harry Caray and Jack Buck I saw it on the radio.
Likewise, last night while dream watching the Cardinals and the Texas Rangers, I fondly listened (and watched) as the Cardinals overcame five deficits, including two almost indefinable, 7-4, and 9-7 behind-the-proverbial-eight-ball tallies.
Somehow, someway, some miracle the Cards parlayed rallies and deadlocked the Rangers, 7-7 and 9-7.
Finally, in so dramatic fashion it's almost surreal David Freese freeze-framed a titanic 11th inning walkoff home run to cap a comeback for the ages.
I watched it on the radio!

No comments:

Post a Comment