Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Defining moment

"When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment or the moment defines you." -- Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup"

Have you ever had a moment when you seized control of the situation and made a definite statement to assuage your conscience?
My father, God rest his soul in heavenly solace, dreamed that his eldest son would follow in his hallowed footsteps and become a Methodist minister.
Alas, his footsteps were too large. He wore a size 10 1/2 shoe and I wear a 7 1/2. LOL.
Actually once when I received an urgent phone call from my mother that my father was suffering in a coma and he wasn't expected to live, I drove like a bat out of Hades to Mountain Home.
On the way, I heard God calling me to give a eulogy at my father's funeral to prove to him that I could indeed preach.
Even though my mother went to a funeral home and started making the arrangements for his funeral, God wasn't through with him yet. Miraculously he survived.
A few years later my mother passed.
I felt the influence of God invoking me to eulogize my mother.
So, with the help of God I spoke glowing words in tribute to my mother. I also accomplished a two-fold task and explained that God didn't call me into the ministry.
A year later my father passed.
Likewise I eulogized him and summarized a credo which I utilize, "Nice Guys Finish With Class."
Whenever the going gets tough, I try and display grace under pressure and show my true character, class.
I also had one of my best friends die last year and I eulogized him in an almost all black funeral home.
I summarized our relationship, "We Are Family."
No matter the color of your skin, you should treat everyone equally.
Everyone clapped as I emotionally concluded my eulogy, "We Are Family."
Indeed, we're all God's children. We're a family of Christians seeking salvation from our earthly sins.
So, when my mother and father and best friend died, I let God do the talking through me.
That's the three defining moments of my life. I, with the divine assistance of God, defined the moment and summarized those three special human beings and their significant contributions.
Those moments also defined me.

No comments:

Post a Comment