Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Humility

Matthew 23:12: "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

Sirach 4:17-18: "My son, conduct your affairs with humility, and you will be loved more than a giver of gifts.
"Humble yourself the more, the greater you are, and you will find favor with God."

Humility can be the most God-like quality to embrace.
We all are very proud people.
But one must subjugate hubris (selfish pride) to distinguish oneself as a humble individual.
I can remember my vain-glorious days when I put myself on a pedestal.
But sooner or later humility intervened and I learned the true meaning of respect from my peers.
We all disdain boastful, arrogant braggarts who want to pat themselves on the back every opportunity they can.
There's nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments, but humility will let others appreciate them and you much, much more.
The gifts God bestows on us are our talents.
But he appreciates us if we just stay humble.
I don't know if I've ever met a humble Texan, but I've met a plethora of humble Arkansans.
Alabama sure made the Razorbacks swallow humble pie!
Humility brings us back to our senses and we must not get depressed or cast aspersions on our pride. Just learn from one's braggadocio and the speed bumps that intervene. Then, go on not with a chip on your shoulder, but humility in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment