Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Goodness infectious

"You are the benefactor of great kindness. And you have no idea how much goodness is lavished on the world by invisible hands. Small selfless deeds engender tremendous force against the darker powers.
"Great kindness pervades this world, struggling against pernicious selfishness and vulgar narcissism and the vicious streak that is smeared against each human heart -- great bounding goodness is rampant and none of it is wasted.
"No, these small gifts of goodness -- this is what saves the soul of man from despair, and that is what preserves humanity from the long fall from the precipice into the abyss." -- Old Chinese man in "A Christmas Blizzard" by Garrison Keillor.

"This is a thank you to the force of love which watches over all of us now and at all times, without which we would be lost for all times." -- Ibid

A heretofore unknown benefactor blessed me twofold the Thursday before Christmas.
As I was trekking homeward bound mostly dreading an expected uneventful Christmas, an angel appeared before me, turned her car around and generously offered me a ride.
Unbeknownst to both of us that was an act of reciprocal altruism.
Some call it karma, but psychiatrists term it reciprocal altruism.
Not only did I receive a ride, but she proffered me a large pizza!!
That was one of the most benevolent deeds I received during 2011.
I voraciously and emphatically enjoyed that pizza for three more days.
Lbuckmstr thank you from the bottom of my heart to the bottom of my digestive tract, both physically nourishing me but significantly rewarding me for all of the altruistic deeds I've tried to bestow on my friends.
I hope that altruistic lady received a reciprocal nice Christmas gift from her significant other.
Once when I was down and out and not expecting anything for Christmas while ensconced sleeping in the back seat of a car in Bentonville, reciprocal altruism enamored me with a humongous Christmas gift.
Back in the day when I thrived at Wal-Mart Supercenter in Bentonville I loaned a friend $100. He had just gotten divorced and needed gas money home back to Virginia.
Never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate payback.
I was sitting lonely and so broke I could barely pay attention in a McDonald's, lo and behold in stepped my long, lost friend KC decked out in a lavish suit and tie.
I hurriedly proffered my hand and he said, "David, I've been trying to find you."
He remarked that I came back the next day he would repay me that Benjamin Franklin I'd altruistically loaned him quite a few years ago.
Miraculously I was rewarded the next day.
Likewise, two years ago while in between sleeping in a tent and ushering at Arkansas Razorback basketball games, a friend who I'd covered during his prep career as a Bentonville Tiger greeted me at halftime with a handshake and a benjie.
Another Christmas miracle!!
This year Lbuckmstr's pizza provided me with a Christmas crescendo of goodness.
There is a force of love which watches over us.
So, selfless deeds engender kindness. I'm not perniciously selfish nor vulgarly narcissistic but my heart beats out a kind beat everytime I meet a kindred Christian who bestows altruistic good deeds.
Once this year a photographer who offers $20 to shoot profiles of the needy and feature them on Facebook, desired to altruistically snap my shot. He's a great friend!!
My Facebook photo is really a Faithbook picture from a divine loving spirit who invokes his love on us at very opportunistic moments.
Another benefactor, who prefers anonymity, bestowed on me a pair of snuggly, winterized boots which are both insulated from cold and rain.
So, thrice this year I've witnessed reciprocal altruism.
Here's to you Andrew Kilgore, a world renowned photographer. And here's to you my former P&G compatriot. And here's to you Lbuckmstr!!
God Bless You all!! I luxuriated in a Mary, Joseph and Jesus Christmas!!
If anyone desires to contact me after commenting, please include your e-mail address because when I do receive comments I need further reciprocal information. If I have your e-mail address it automatically is included in the comment. But if we're not befriended with that technical information I can't respond reciprocally.
Thanks and Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment