Sunday, December 18, 2011

The end

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Every man's life ends the same way and the details of how he lived and how he died distinguishes one from another." -- Ernest Hemingway

So, what is God's purpose for your life?
Whenever facing adversity one ponders that dilemma. Why, Oh God, am I suffering?
There has to be a reason. I don't deserve this fate.
Maybe it's a wakeup call from God that I wasn't doing the right thing and he wanted me to be aware that there's more important things than my measly little view of reality and I placed way too much importance on that 35-inch Mitsubishi television I used to own when I had a good job and I thought a good lifestyle.
Now I realize God wanted me to be homeless, er, a camper, to understand what it's like to not own anything of real importance. And he wanted me to try and enlighten others as to how it feels to be without a home, with nowhere to roam and no goals in life except to just survive and wake up the next morning and thank God for another day of life.
I experienced the true values of the meaning of my existence last Tuesday.
I gave a confessional experience at Central United Methodist Men's Bible Study.
I related that the first time I attended the bible study I was very meek and sleeping in a tent.
Then, I found a nice job in Rogers, thanks to a charismatic Christian friend who prefers anonymity.
Six months later I was destitute again, jobless, homeless and asking God, why me?
I think the answer should be: WHY NOT ME!
A gentleman at the Bible Study related that he and his wife had resigned their positions after seven years and were trying to ascertain their next significant plan God had in store for them.
He said he enjoyed hearing about my experience and he firmly believed God had a plan for me.
Sometimes I wish it would be easier for me if God would just pop up in a burning bush and relate to me his plans.
Once I pleaded with God for me to have a Saul, Paul conversion experience.
Sometimes we must endure the pain and suffering to appreciate the most meaningful things in life. Oxygen. Breathing. Consumption of food. Clothing and insulated boots and gloves to keep us cozy while walking through the winter's blustery conditions. And just life which is the ability to live and breathe and sustain and maintain.
It's nice to hear grown men say "I love you David."
I've had five gentlemen friends tell me, "David, I love you" this year.
So, I must be doing something right if men love me as a friend.
Hopefully I'll be telling everyone I care about, "I love you," more often.
I remember when I eulogized my sweet, dear mother Ruth Kornmeyer Lanier, and I rued not telling I loved her the last time I saw her in her earthly bodily form.
So, I said, "Mom, I love you with all of my heart and all of my soul!!"
Love can be the unifying force which bonds us with our fellow men and women.
So, I love everyone who reads these ruminations. I would love to hear more comments, though.
To you dear readers, have a Mary, Joseph and Jesus Christmas! Happy Hannekah!! and Hippy New Year!
Shalom.

3 comments:

  1. Mary Christmas David, I hope things work the way you want. You are loved by many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, David, and the work you are doing for God and for us all. Survival is a shared experience. The human race is learning this slowly and surely. Our camper friends so often have so much to teach us about real survival. We are the arms and legs of God building His kingdom from the heart out. Keep on keeping on. God bless us all...
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete