Friday, May 18, 2012

London calling

2012 is a momentous year for London, England.
London hosts the 2012 Summer Olympics in July and also this marks the Diamond Jubilee of the crowning of Queen Elizabeth who garnered the crown in 1952.
Hallowed be the name of London this year.
In commemoration I'm going to revisit the album, "London Calling" by the Clash.
It's one of my favorites and the louder it sounds.
I remember when I purchased it and cranked up the volume, my roommate, Steve Kirk was flabbergasted at my taste in music.
Nevertheless, the rock and roll gospel, "Rolling Stone" proclaimed it one of the top albums of all time.
While reading "The Times" from London (er, I wasn't in London, I was in the UofA library reading the newspaper, I happened on a humorous pair of lines about London.
"London is full of parks and you can't ever park."

Indeed, Fayetteville similarly has oodles of parks but it costs to park in downtown Fayetteville which has depleted the business at such venerated establishments like the Dickson Street Bookstore and Flying Possum Leather because people  don't want to pay a $1 to buy a 50 cent book.

"A wise man once said that a man tired of London is tired of life, but everyone is tired of hearing about that."
Maybe, some of us might be tired about reading about London by the end of the year, but our hearts will be vicariously thrilling at the exploits of the U.S. Olympic team this summer.
I've never been to London, but to paraphrase W.C. Fields, I'd rather be in Fayetteville because that's where I call it my home, sweet, home.

No comments:

Post a Comment