Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Religion

"Religion is a great force -- the only real motive force in the world; but what you fellows don't understand is that you must get at a man through his own religion and not through yours." -- George Bernard Shaw, "Getting Married"

Why are there so many denominations of Protestants?
Why are there so many Baptist churches?
Why didn't the Jews choose to proclaim Jesus as the Messiah?
I don't have any of the answers to those queries, but I do have faith in one God.
I do believe Jesus was the Son of God and died for our sins on the cross.
I believe salvation comes from one's faith in that statement.
I believe we must also do good works along with our faith.
We have a mission to help others.
But we can't convert heathens if they won't listen with an open mind.
I have some friends who are very intelligent but they're agnostics or atheists.
I won't change their mind so I just have to be a patient listener.
I respect all religious followers and I don't try to convert them to Methodism and I don't expect them to change my religious persuasions.
I'm a proud follower of the religion practed by Rev. Major William Maurice Lanier and Ruth Kornmeyer Lanier, aka, my parents who I eulogized upon their earthly deaths.
I felt God working in my life when I delivered those eulogies.
One of my biggest regrets occurred when I received a phone call from the Conway United Methodist Church requesting a copy of my eulogy for my father. They were compiling a book of the greatest sermons ever preached at that hallowed church and they considered my eulogy to be included.
I felt overwhelmed but also guilty that I didn't follow in my father's footsteps. He wore a size 10 1/2 shoe and I'm just a midget with a 7 1/2 shoe.
Nevertheless, I'm proud to have lived in the Laniers house and grew up a little bit confused about my destiny until my father told me, "David, you like to write and you like sports, why don't you become a sports writer."
I felt God was working through him to motivate me into that higher calling.
I miss sports writing but this blog is very cathartic when I'm facing a crisis situation.
Thanks patient readers for sharing your lives with me.
We are all blessed to know each other.
I appreciate my true friends when I need their assistance.
God bless you one and all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment