Friday, March 23, 2012

How does it feel?

During my research and composition of my series of articles on the psychological feelings and exposition of the conflicts one experieces while not living in a stable environment, I now must confess, it's dangerous being a camper.
Two campers have been severely assaulted this year.
One, Michael Phipps, suffered burns to 45 percent of his body and he lost his prized possession, his fingernails which enabled him to play the guitar and make money to survive.
Another, who shall remain anonymous, to protect his privacy, was so beaten up in his tent that he went into a coma and doesn't remember what happened.
He spent a week in ICU and then called Human Services which helped him stay in a motel in Fayetteville for a week. Then his daughter helped him get another week's lodging in a motel.
His next game plan is to go the Salvation Army which he vowed to never go to again.
He told me he developed foot fungus there once while showering and never wanted to experience that misery again.
So, what's the moral to these sad sagas?
It's tantamountly urgent that these campers have a safe refuge to live in.
A homeless shelter would provide the missing link to survival.
So, it's my adamant goal to help solicit funding for the foundation of a homeless shelter in Northwest Arkansas. I know enough campers who would gladly provide their construction experience in building or remodeling an existing facility.
If anyone desires to participate in the steering committee which is currently meeting let me know via e-mail at davidlanier.lanier1951@gmail.com.
About all I can personally do is buy lotto tickets and pray I can win some money.
Otherwise, pray and seek further assistance.
Lives may hang in the balance.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mike:
      We're going to set up a bank account and solicit funds into it. I talked to Greg Mashburn today and I hope he follows up on it. My cousins in Texas are also interested in helping. Thanks. I'll keep you informed.

      Delete